Monday, August 27, 2012

Ikea Hack Malm Dresser Window Seat...For Dogs

I am finally finishing up the dog's room/mudroom.  Now that I crossed off this window seat, I only have 3 more projects to finish and the room will be done.  Yay!  It only took about 9 months to complete.

Here is the window seat and it is for the dogs.


I started with this Malm dresser from Ikea.

MALM 6-drawer dresser IKEA Extra roomy drawers. Smooth running drawers with pull-out stop.
 
 
Because this dresser fit perfectly in front of our large window in this room, I thought it would be cool if I could turn it into a window seat for the dogs.  Some of our dogs like to look out the window, but they didn't have a good spot to do it.  So I decided to go for it.
 
 
 
The first step was the upholstered top.  We cut a piece of plywood the same size as the top of the dresser.  Then we covered the plywood with 1 inch foam and wrapped it with batting and the green velvet fabric.  We finished by stapling the fabric to the underside.  My husband suggested adding the tufts.  I didn't do the tufting the appropriate way.  I just hammered furniture nails down through the fabric into the plywood.  I am really glad that I added the tufts.  The spoiled rotten pillow was purchased at Hobby Lobby.  All the rest of the pillows were made by me with fabric I already had for the most part.
 
 
The second and final step was painting the drawer fronts.  I have been seeing a lot of ombre dressers out there in blogland and I really liked the way it looked.  I thought it would really tie in the other greens that are in the room and it did.  I love the way it turned out.
 
Here are how the dogs enjoy the window seat.
 
 
 
I didn't show you the steps yet, but you will see them in the final room reveal.  They are located on the right side of the dresser.  That is how the dogs get on top of the dresser.  The 2 dogs in the picture are the ones that utilize the window seat.  Our chihuahua will get on it occasionally and our other min pin doesn't want anything to do with it.  He is a scared boy.
 
So that is another look into the almost finished dog's room/mudroom.  If you are interested in seeing the reveal of this room, become a follower of my blog.  You won't want to miss it.
 
I am linking up to:
 


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

DIY project Parade linky party button



The Southern Intitute

Making Monday Marvelous





 

 


4 comments:

  1. how cute! the pups look like they love it, and why wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do love it. Especially the black min pin. She sits up there all the time.

      Delete
  2. This is just beautiful! What a clever idea. My dog sits on my sons bed to look out of the window, but I see so many dogs on the back of a couch trying to see out. Love the colours! Looking forward to your party tomorrow to share my IKEA hack.

    Have a great week,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!!!!!! I know several little dogs at my house that would love to have one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete